Speaking the Truth in Love
Genesis Chapters 18 & 19
TV PROGRAM NOTES – MARCH 18, 2013 – KNOXVILLE CTV
GENESIS 18-19 – DWade & MWade - Introduce ourselves, our series, and who we are.
- Review of the last part of Genesis 17 about circumcision, Isaac, and name changes.
- Genesis 18:1-15
- Abraham shows hospitality to the three men (verses 1-8) (Hebrews 13:1-2)
- Sarah laughs when told about having a son in her old age (verses 8-15) (Genesis 17:17). Similar to Zacharias with John the Baptist [Luke 1:5-25 (7), 2:57-80]. Zacharias did not believe either when he was told by an angel of the Lord that he would have a son in his old age.
- Genesis 18:16-21
- Interesting text. Not given specifics on the form the Lord had taken. From the entire context it seems it may have been an angel of the Lord speaking for God (Genesis 16:7-13). And we know that no man can see God face to face (Exodus 33:20).
- In verse 21, it says the Lord would go down to see if Sodom is as bad as the outcry seems. In going down we see the two men are sent as representatives of God.
- Genesis 18:22-33
- Abraham stands before the Lord and asks the question, “Would You also destroy the righteous with the wicked?” (verse 22-23)
- Abraham then bargains with the Lord to spare Sodom if 50, 45, 40, 30, 20, and then finally 10 righteous people are found there (verses 24-32).
- It seems in verse 33 the Lord (in whatever form He was) leaves Abraham and then Abraham goes back to his place.
- Genesis 19:1-15
- The two angels visit Lot and we see how truly wicked this place is. We also see how the influence of wickedness has impacted Lot’s thinking about his daughters (verses 1-11).
- It seems that Lot was trying to be righteous (verse 9) (2 Peter 2:6-10)
- Lot tries to persuade son-in-laws to leave as Sodom is to be destroyed (verses 12-14)
- Genesis 19:15-29
- Lot, his daughters, and his wife had to be taken by the hand to be saved from the destruction of Sodom (verses 15-19).
- Lot asks to go to Zoar and eventually leaves there because of fear (verses 19-22, 30).
- Fire and brimstone come down from heaven to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah and Lot’s wife looks back (verse 17, 23-26) (Luke 17:28-33).
- Lot is spared because God remembered Abraham (verse 29).
- Genesis 19:30-38
- Lot’s daughters commit incest with their father (verses 30-35).
- The nation of Moab and Ammon arise from the sons of Lot’s daughters.
- We all need to learn from Sodom. Keep our hearts pure and avoid wickedness. Lot’s son-in-laws, wife, and all the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah lost their lives from the influence of wickedness. The same can happen to us.
- The only answer to sin and wickedness is Jesus Christ. He died for all sins for all time. He tells us we must repent and be baptized in order to be forgiven of our sins and any wickedness in lives. How about you tonight? Obey before it is everlastingly too late!
- Invite to our Bible studies on Wednesdays & Sundays, and check our website atoakridgechurch.com.
- If any are interested in a Bible Correspondence Course, let us know by calling us or e-mailing us.
- Our next program for Monday, April 1 at 8pm. We hope to see then on “Speaking The Truth In Love”!