Speaking the Truth in Love
How We Got The Bible: The Bible - The Only Book We Need (lesson 5)
I. Introduction: It is our aim in the study for all of us to have a better understanding of the Bible, where it came from and how it is presented to us today.
II. The Bible is sufficient in its origin.
B. Verbally & Completely Inspired (1 Cor. 2:10-13)
2. NT (1 Cor. 14:37)
3. We must have superior regard for what the Bible says because it is God’s word, not man’s word.
III. The Bible is sufficient in authority.
A. The Bible is a conduct-regulating collection of writings (2 Tim. 3:16).
b. That which is falsely called “knowledge,” (1 Tim. 6:20-21)
2. We do not go beyond what is written (1 Cor. 4:6; 2 Jno. 9).
IV. The Bible is sufficient in its finality (2 Tim. 3:17).
A. The Bible is Complete, & has been Completely Given (John 16:12-15).
2. Alteration brings condemnation (Gal. 1:6-10).
3. Saves and abides forever (1 Pet. 1:22-25).
4. Standard for judgment & for life (John 12:48-50).
B. No extra-Biblical source is necessary (Gal. 1:8-9).
1. Bible is decisive, conclusive, definitive, certain, sure & irrevocable (Eph. 3:3-4).
2. To turn away from the Bible is to turn to broken cisterns (Jer. 2:13; 17:12-13).
A. It Meets all our Spiritual Needs; Christians are to grow in the grace & knowledge (2 Pet. 1:3-4; 3:14-18).
1. Evidences for faith (Rom. 10:17):
a. Origins, Gen. 1:1ff. (Where did I come from? Why am I here? Where am I going?)
2. Sin & salvation (Gal. 3:22, Ro. 1:16)
4. Worship (John. 4:23-24).
7. The home (Eph. 5:22-6:4).
8. The local church (1 Cor. 14:26, 33).
A. We Can Have Confidence in the Accuracy of the Scriptures
2. Have confidence in its words (Matthew 22:31-32).
3. “It is written” ended all controversy with Jesus (Luke 10:25-26).
HOW WE USE THE BIBLE AFFECTS OUR SOULS (2 PETER3:16-18).