Speaking the Truth in Love
Satan, Man's Adversary (Part 3)
A. We must turn from Satan. Acts 26:18
1. We must be translated into the kingdom. Col. 1:13-14
2. We must be added to the church by obeying the gospel. Acts 2:38, 41, 47
3. This is the first step in overcoming Satan's devices. Until you do this, you are a child of the devil.
1. The Bible is forceful on this point. We should not tamper with sin, but should flee from it.
a. Illustration: The drunk man said, "I only meant to take one drink." The young unmarried couple upon discovering that they would have a child said, "We didn't mean to go too far." The young married woman after going out with another man said, "I didn't mean to hurt my husband's feelings." These were tampering with sin instead of fleeing from it. Notice Joseph in Genesis 39:7-12.
C. We need to put on the whole armor of God so that we can resist. Eph. 6:10-20
1. It is hard enough to overcome temptations with the armor; it is next to impossible without it.
D. We can take courage that others are successfully resisting Satan. 1 Peter 5:8-9
1. Thus, we need to resist when Satan tries to turn us from the truth.
a. We cannot recognize Satan’s ministers by outward appearance. 2 Corinthians 11:13-15
b. We shall know them by their fruits (by what they do and teach). Matt. 7:15-16
c. We must constantly be on guard lest we be lead away from the truth. 2 Pet. 3:17-18
a. Consider Paul's warning and admonition to the young widows. 1 Tim. 5:11-15
A. We can overcome Satan by turning from and resisting him, and by putting on the whole armor of God.
1. Though Satan constantly tries, he cannot destroy those who truly trust in God. Matthew 10:28
B. If you are not a Christian, we encourage you to turn from Satan by obeying the gospel.
1. Satan knows that every man is outside of Christ until he is baptized into Christ. Gal. 3:26-29
2. He is willing for people to believe on Christ, repent of their sins, for this alone has not changed their state and relationship.
3. However, the devil sets the battle at baptism, for that is the one thing that changes the state of all who would be saved.
C. How about you? Will you not turn from Satan by being baptized into Christ?
1. If you have let Satan gain control of your life, will you defeat him by renewing your allegiance and dedication to the Lord?