The Rapture Doctrine
A. Many are familiar with term "the rapture."
1. Much religious teaching that involves it.
a. Maybe you have seen bumper sticker: "In case of
rapture, this car will be driverless!"
2. Hardly a denomination that doesn't teach it.
a. It is a major tenet of the pre-millenial doctrine
3. The "Left Behind" series of books on the Rapture by Tim
LaHaye & Jerry Jenkins have sold over 36 million copies and
have been on several of the best seller lists.
B. What is it?
1. Taken from 1 Thess. 4:13-17
2. "Caught up" (Vs 17) from Gr. "harpazo" , rendered "rapare"
in Latin Vulgate. Hence, English "rapture"
3. "Harpazo" Lit. "To be caught away, seize, pulled up, taken
by force, snatched away" (Vine's)
C. Premillenialism - (Many different varieties)
1. God sent Jesus to set up kingdom, but. Jews rejected Jesus
thwarting His plans.
2. Because of rejection, Jesus failed (!) to set up kingdom
3. Set up church as substitute until later time.
D. Jesus will at some point rapture the church.
1. The dead saints will be raised also.
2. Then will commence 7 years of tribulation
a. Nation of Israel restored.
E. After 7 years Jesus will return to earth with saints
1. Will defeat enemies at battle of Armegeddon
2. Will then establish earthly kingdom at Jerusalem.
3. Will rule 1,000 years
4. Satan is bound
F. After 1000 years, Satan will be released to try to defeat
1. Satan will be defeated, thrown into lake of fire.
2. Wicked dead raised
G. Then judgement at great white throne
1. Heaven or hell
I. Let's talk about the rapture.
A. Rapture Doctrine: There will be two comings of Christ..
B. Premill says Jesus will return to rapture the church & dead
saints prior to 7 years of bad luck, then return again to set
up His kingdom on earth.
C. Bible: There is only ONE Second Coming.
1. 1 Cor. 15:23-28
2. 1 Thess. 5:1-4
a. There is no mistaking the tone and sense of finality in
3. 2 Thess. 1:6-10
a. Notice the following: God will:
(1) Repay tribulation to those who caused affliction
(2) Give relief to those who have been afflicted
(3) Deal out retribution to those who haven't obeyed
(4) When? (Vs 7)
(5) THIS IS THE JUDGEMENT!
II. Rapture Doctrine: Christ's Coming Will Be A Quiet One
A. Pre-mill points to some mysterious, instantaneous, quiet even
that no one will see coming.
1. Suddenly people will noiselessly disappear.
a. "In case of rapture, car will be driverless!"
b. Man & wife in bed, he turns & she's gone!
c. Planes crash, no sign of pilots!
B. Bible: Christ's coming will be a noisy affair, seen by all!
1. 1 Thess. 4:16
a. "A shout, voice of the archangel, trumpet of God"
2. 2 Peter 3:10
a. "The day of the Lord" - This is seen by nearly all
commentators as Christ's return.
b. Notice the finality: "heavens pass away, elements
destroyed, works burned up"
3. His coming will be seen by all.
a. 2 Thess. 1:6-10
b. Col. 3:4
(1) "Revealed" speaks of an uncovering, something
that is manifested and can be seen.
c. Rev. 1:7
III. Rapture Doctrine: Raptured for 7 yrs, then 1,000 yrs of Christ
reigning on earth.
A. From a misreading of Matt. 24 & Rev. 20
B. Bible: Christ's 2nd Coming will be final and irrevocable!
1. 1 Thess. 4:16-17
a. We shall ALWAYS be with the Lord.
b. There will be nothing else to look forward to...except
eternity with Him!
2. 1 Cor. 15:23-24
a. Then comes the END!
b. Jesus DELIVERS the kingdom up to God.
c. That means it is already existing!
d. Not the beginning of tribulation or earthly kingdom!
A. The rapture doctrine is an alarmist belief with no firm
foundation in the Bible.
1. It is based on misinterpretation and assumption.
B. Jesus did not teach His disciples to be ready for a rapture,
but to be ready for His coming to judge.
1. He told us what we will be judged by. John 12:48
C. The word He spoke instructs us to believe Him, be baptized in
His name, and live faithfully to Him. Will you?
The Premillennial Theory Cannot Be True
An age beyond the end of the ages - 1 Cor. 10:11; Heb. 9:26
The end of the world -- heaven, hell - Matt. 13:39-43
Will deliver up the kingdom - 1 Cor. 15:23-24
Earth will be burned up - 2 Pet. 3:10
Has days beyond the last day - John 6:44; 12:48; 1 Pet. 1:5
Judgment occurring 1,000 years later - Matt. 25:31-46; 2 Tim. 4:1
Resurrection (immortality) 1,000 years later - 1 Cor. 15:52-53; Phil.
3:20-21; 1 Thess. 4:16-18