Genesis Chapters 22 & 23
GENESIS CHAPTERS 22-23
- Genesis 22:1-8
- Journey to the land of Mt. Moriah (verse 2). This area is significant as the place where Solomon built the temple (2 Chronicles 3:1) and vicinity of Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified (Matthew 20:17-18).
- “your only son Isaac” (also verses 12 and 16). Notice Hebrews 11:17 as “his only begotten son”. This is similar to how God the Father gave His only begotten Son (John 1:18, 3:16-18, 1 John 4:9).
- Isaac carries the wood for the offering. Similar to Jesus bearing his own cross (John 19:17-20).
- God will provide for Himself a lamb (John 1:29).
- Genesis 22:9-14
- Abraham is ready to obey the Lord (Hebrews 11:17-19).
- Abraham passes the test (see verse 1).
- “In the Mount of the Lord it shall be provided”.
- Genesis 22:15-24
- Abraham receives blessings for his faith and obedience.
- Abraham hears about his brother Nahor’s family.
- Genesis 23:1-9
- Sarah dies at the age of 127 years old. An example for all women (1 Peter 3:1-6).
- Abraham asks for the cave of Machpelah.
- Genesis 23:10-16
- Abraham and Ephron work out the deal for the land for 400 shekels of silver.
- Genesis 23:17-20
- This now is an important burial plot of Abraham and his loved ones (Genesis 25:9-10, 49:29-33).
- Today we hear folks say that all you need to do is believe. You just need to have faith. We learn that the faith of Abraham was an active faith. He believed God and then He obeyed Him. Even when asked to sacrifice his only begotten son. He had a faith of action. Please notice James 2:18-24.
- Do you have faith like Abraham tonight? Are you willing to obey God’s commandments of repenting of your sins and being baptized so those sins can be washed away by the blood of Jesus? That is how one becomes like Abraham. Abraham believed and it was accounted to him as righteousness (Galatians 3:5-9, 26-29).
- To inherit eternal life you will need to have an active faith like Abraham. How about you tonight? Obey before it is everlastingly too late!
- Invite to our Bible studies on Wednesdays & Sundays, and check our website atoakridgechurch.com.
- If any are interested in a Bible Correspondence Course, let us know by calling us or e-mailing us.
- Our next program for Monday, May April 6 at 8pm. We hope to see then on “Speaking The Truth In Love”!