Speaking the Truth in Love
Satan, Man's Adversary (Part 2)
Continuing "Some Things About Satan":
E. Jesus had power over Satan and his angels.
1. Jesus cast our many demons. Mark 1:34
a. The terms "devils," "demons," and "unclean spirits" are used interchangeably in the gospels.
b. No one is possessed with demons today in the way they were. Mark 5:2-5; Luke 9:42
c. It seems that God allowed people to be possessed then so that when Jesus came he could demonstrate his power over demons.
d. They were subject even to his name. Luke 10:17
2. Jesus triumphed over Satan in his death.
a. This was revealed in the first great prophecy concerning the Messiah. Gen. 3:14-15
(1) Satan bruised the heel of Jesus in putting him to death. Isa. 53:5,10
(2) Jesus bruised the head of Satan in triumphing over death. The following passages have reference to His victory over him in His death: John 12:31-33; Col. 2:15; Heb. 2:14-15.
II. SATAN'S DEVICES.
A. We may not know when and where Satan originated, but we do know that he is our constant adversary and has many devices to overthrow us.
1. We should not be ignorant of his devices.
a. Paul's reason for his conduct toward the Corinthian brethren was -- 2 Cor. 2:11.
b. If we are ignorant of Satan's devices, he already has the advantage over us.
B. Satan overthrows and devours through false doctrines.
1. He takes the Word of God out of the hearts of people. Luke 8:12
a. I have seen this occur several times over the years that I have endeavored to preach the gospel.
b. Very promising prospects sometimes turn out to be the most disappointing.
2. The devil takes away God's word and supplies his own.
a. In the latter times there would be "doctrine of devils." 1 Tim. 4:1
b. The devil appears as an angel of light and his ministers are disguised as ministers of righteousness. 2 Cor.11:13-15
3. There are many ways in which his ministers deceive.
a. They make people think that one church, faith, or doctrine is as good as another.
(1) This makes people who are in Satan's kingdom think that they are in a kingdom which is as good as God's kingdom.
(2) As long as people remain in his kingdom, Satan doesn't mind them being religious.
(3) The Bible plainly teaches that there is only one faith (Eph. 4:5) and one church (Eph. 4:4; 1:22-23), and division is condemned (1 Cor. 1:10).
(4) How pathetic it is to think that there are so many millions today who have been misled into thinking that the church to which they belong doesn't matter.
(5) If they ever try to improve themselves spiritually, they usually only become more dedicated and engrossed in an organization that will condemn them in the last day. Matt. 15:13; Psalm 127:1
b. The devil also works by using his ministers to infiltrate and work inside the church. 2 Pet. 2:1-2; Jude 4;Acts 20:29-30
(1) His ministers within the church do more damage than those who persecute the church from without.
(2) Remember, too, that they come as ministers of righteousness in sheep's clothing with strong deception. 2 Thess. 2:9-10
C. Not only does Satan devour through false doctrines, but also through the lure of the world.
1. He uses the same devices on us that he used on Eve. 2 Cor.11:3
2. John said that three things comprise all that is of the world. 1 John 2:15-17
a. Thus, those three realms of enticement encompass all.
(1) They were used on Eve. Gen. 3:6 She saw that the tree was good for food (lust of the flesh), pleasant to the eyes (lust of the eyes), and desired to make one wise (pride of life).
(2) They were used on the Lord. Matt. 4:1-11 We see the "lust of the flesh" in verse 3, the "pride of life" in vs. 6, and the "lust of the eyes" in vs. 8.
(3) These same three allurements are the ones Satan will use on us.
b. We can be thankful to God that this is all Satan has.
(1) He cannot tempt us above that which is common to man. 1 Cor. 10:13
Next Time - "Satan, Man's Adversary" (Part 3) Satan's Devices