Speaking the Truth in Love
Heart Lessons: Following God's Order
The psalm of 1 Chronicles 16:7-36 occurs after David has tried to move the Ark of the Covenant using carts, which was not authorized by the Law. These events are recorded in 1 Chronicles chapter 13.
- Uzza put his hand out to hold the ark when one of the oxen stumbled (1 Chronicles 13:9).
- This angered the Lord so that Uzza died before the Lord (1 Chronicles 13:10).
- David then was angry and became afraid (1 Chronicles 13:11-12).
- David then prepares a place for the ark of God (1 Chronicles 15:1).
- He assembles all the Israelites and makes sure all know that the Levites are the only ones allowed to carry the ark. Then he calls for all to follow the proper order (1 Chronicles 15:11-15).
- Proper sanctification and plans for offerings and celebration were put in order. The ark is finally brought to Jerusalem. On that day David delivers the following psalm from 1 Chronicles 16:7-36.
Please open your Bibles so we can read this beautiful psalm, 1 Chronicles 16:7-36 together!
· A true leader – David was able to gather all of Israel together and say AMEN as one and all rejoice together. A true leader is one who can influence a nation into serving and worshipping God!
· A man after God’s own heart (Acts 13:22-23, 1 Samuel 13:14).
· No wonder God loved David. Instead of rebelling David realized that he was the one who needed to change. His heart was one set on doing what God says! We have no record of God correcting David. He searched his own heart and then knew he needed to follow God’s commands (Psalm 51:16-17).
New Testament examples of God’s Commands we need to follow
Lessons for Us
1. We must always follow God’s order!
2. When we do not follow God’s order, God will not be pleased.
3. When we fall, if we sincerely humble ourselves to God, we will be able to get back on track.
4. We can always find God’s order in His Word, just like David did.
5. When we follow God’s order, we will be blessed and be children after God’s own heart.
6. There is great joy in following God’s proper order.
How about you? Is your heart pure like David’s? Is your heart set on following God’s order? Are you a Christian? If not, obey God’s commands like the Ethiopian Eunuch did.
Matthew 7:21-24 shows that those who hear and do what the Lord says will be blessed. How about you? Good things to think about! We hope to see you next time on "Speaking The Truth In Love".