Speaking the Truth in Love
Do You Have A Good Attitude?
In order to have a good attitude, we must have the proper attitude toward God. Let's take a look at what the Bible describes as a pleasing attitude toward God and see whether we reflect that description in our daily lives.
I. REVERENCE - "a deep feeling of respect, love, awe and esteem" KJV ref. Bible
A. Why Should We Reverence God?
2. Because He is our Father (Hebrews 12:9)
3. Because the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom (Psalm 111:10)
4. Because Holy and awesome is His name (Psalm 111:9)
a. The KJV translates this, "Holy and reverend is His name".
b. We hear men called "Reverend" more than we hear God call reverend. Should a mere man presume to wear a description that is only used of God in the scriptures?
B. How Do We Reverence God?
1. By being obedient (Hebrews 11:7)
2. By serving God acceptably (Hebrews 12:28-29)
3. By delighting in His commandments (Psalm 112:1)
II. HONOR - "to esteem or regard highly" KJV ref. Bible
A. Why Should We Honor God?
1. Because He is the King eternal, immortal, invisible, who alone is wise (1 Timothy 1:17)
B. How Do We Honor Him?
1. With our best and with a grateful attitude (Malachi 1:6-9)
2. With our possessions (Proverbs 3:9)
3. With our mouth (lips) (Hebrews 13:15)
a. When we speak God's name, we should use His name in a way that brings honor and glory to Him (Leviticus 19:12). The Israelites were commanded not to profane it.
b. The ancient Hebrew name for God was "Jehovah" or "Yahweh". In the original Hebrew text it was not vocalized because it was considered too sacred to pronounce (The Zondervan Pictoral Bible Dictionary, p.905). Today many people toss His name around like a curse word. Using God's or the Lord's name in a flippant, common way does not show honor. Under the Law of Moses this would have been "taking the Lord's name in vain" (Exodus 20:7). On television, on the radio, and in our daily conversations, we hear people saying, "Oh, my God!" or "Oh, Lord!" over and over again as expressions of surprise. This does not honor God!
A. Why Should We Love God?
1. Because He first loved us (1 John 4:19)
2. Because He commands it (Matthew 22:36-38)
3. Because it is more important to Him than rituals done without love (Mark 12:32-33)
B. How Do We Love God?
2. By using the gifts God gives us with a spirit of love (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)
A. Why Should We Trust God?
1. Because He is faithful (Psalm 89:8)
2. Because He keeps His promises (1 Kings 8:56)
3. Because our High Priest (Jesus) promises mercy and grace (Hebrews 4:15-16)
4. Because it pleases God (Hebrews 11:6)
B. How Should We Trust God?
1. With our soul (2 Timothy 1:12)
2. With all our heart (Proverbs 3:5-6)
3. In Christian's prayers (1 John 5:14)
4. By entrusting Him with our physical well-being
V. FEAR - "anxiety caused by approaching danger" KJV ref. Bible
A. Why Should We Fear God?
1. Because there is none like Him (Jeremiah 10:6-10)
The question is, Do you have a good attitude toward God? Do you show proper reverance, honor, love, trust, and fear toward Him? Qualities of a good attitude come from a heart set on God's will (Mark 12:28-31). If you reject His will, your attitude cannot be right. Why not obey Him tonight! We hope to see you next time on "Speaking the Truth in Love"!