A. The movie produced by Mel Gibson called "The Passion" is soon
to be released.
1. "The Passion" is a movie depicting the crucifixion of
2. It is causing a lot of controversy over the involvement of
the Jews in the crucifixion.
3. Some modern Jews are up in arms because they say the
movie is anti-Semitic.
4. They say that it seeks to place the blame for the death of
Jesus on the Jews.
B. "Anti-Semitism" is defined as "hatred or hostility toward the
Jews, or discrimination against the Jews."
1. Of course, Christians are not to have hatred or discriminate
C. Let's look closely at who actually killed Jesus.
I. THE ROMANS WERE RESPONSIBLE.
A. The Jews had no authority under Roman rule to put anyone to
death. John 18:28-31
1. Pilate, the Roman governor, gave the orders for Christ to be
crucified. John 19:16-18
2. The Roman soldiers carried out the actual crucifixion. Matt.
II. THE JEWS WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR JESUS' DEATH.
A. Jesus showed that the Jews carried the greater guilt. John
1. Thus, those who delivered Jesus to the Romans bore the
2. Indeed, the Jews who pressured Pilate, accepted
responsibility for their actions. Matt. 27:22-25
3. Paul laid blame for Jesus' death on the Jews of Judah. 1 Th
4. Jesus said to those evil Jews, "...On you may come all the
righteous blood shed on the earth." Matt. 23:32-36
III. GOD ALLOWED JESUS TO BE KILLED.
A. It was according to the Father's purpose.
1. Note the sermon of Peter on Pentecost. Acts 2:22-23; 4:27-
a. Jesus was delivered by the determined purpose and
foreknowledge of God.
b. The Jews and Romans were instruments in carrying out
God's will, though they did not know it.
B. Thus, in a sense God the Father was responsible for Jesus'
IV. JESUS HIMSELF WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS OWN DEATH.
A. Jesus had the power to deliver Himself, yet it was His own will
that He die for the sins of the world. John 10:11-18
1. Jesus came into the world to minister and to give His life
for ransom. Matt. 20:28
2. He became obedient to death, even the death of the cross.
V. YOU AND I ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR JESUS' DEATH.
A. He was bruised because of our iniquities. Isa.
1. He bore our sins in his own body on the tree. 1 Pet. 2:24
2. As animals were sacrificed under the Law, He sacrificed
Himself to atone for our sins. Heb. 9:25-28
3. Thus, any person who has ever sinned is responsible for the
death of Christ.
a. We must make personal application here.
b. We must accept our own blame in this matter.
c. It was because of our sins that Jesus died on the cross.
d. Because of our sins, we are worthy of death, but Jesus
died in our place.
4. If we do not accept personal responsibility, the death of
Christ brings no benefit to us.
B. Forgiveness to all sinners is now possible through the death of
Christ. Heb. 10:10-14
1. Because of Jesus' death, we die to sin. Rom. 6:4-12
C. Those who do not willingly obey the Lord, are considering the
death of Christ as an unholy or common thing. Heb. 10:26-29
1. They do not appreciate what was done for them.
D. Those who become unfaithful crucify Jesus all over again. Heb.
A. Who killed Jesus?
1. The Romans crucified Him. The Jews demanded that He die.
God sent His Son to die for us. Jesus willingly died to
redeem us from our sins.
2. All of us, because we are sinners, must bear responsibility
for Jesus' death.
B. What is your reaction to Jesus death?
1. Are you willing to accept your responsibility in the matter?
2. Or, will you just blame it on others?
3. Why not receive the benefits of Jesus' death by humbly
surrendering yourself to God?